Here is the result of the breakdown printing I did from the screen I prepared a couple of days ago. I am somewhat underwhelmed by the outcome.
I have had an instructive and occasionally frustrating couple of days playing with various mark making techniques.
You can read about the art of gyotaku here – look in the sidebar on the left. One of the things I uncovered in my printing/mark making box of goodies was this fish I got a while back (I remember when it arrived in the mail, AQIS, the Australian quarantine people had a field day, tearing the package apart and stuffing it full of dire warnings about the penalties for importing wildlife illegally!). But when they realised it was only a rubber fish, they let it through.
So, I got out my stuff and started playing – first up, the gelatine plate. The instructions said, use a disposable foil pan, but I didn’t have one the right size, so I used a glass dish. Only trouble is, getting the damn thing out! I ended up with a crack, but that is okay, as Rayna says they always crack eventually anyway, and it just adds more texture, so if it is okay with Rayna, its okay with me.
I printed with some gum leaves – and, oh look, just like Rayna, I got some stray threads in there – its okay, it just adds to the texture!
I have finally been able to just sew, which I have sorely missed over the past five months of being between houses. When I unpacked, I found all sorts of boxes of projects in various stages of unfinished-ness. I could never start something and see it through to the finish, without starting other things in between, so I have something of a collection of ‘works in progress’. Rather than do a stocktake of all the UFOs and depress myself with a list, I just took the first box I opened, and went from there. It happened to contain a whole pile of half square triangles in greens and florals. I remember deciding to use them up when Margaret Rolfe’s book came out. It must have been sitting there for at least 7 or more years. I distinctly remember that the green squares were cut from a pack of 7 inch charm squares – I did wonder why I had all these three and a half inch half square triangles, as they make up to 2 and 5/8th inch finished squares! Anyway, I sat and sewed them all together and now I have a quilt top which has one border on, and the outer border is cut, just waiting to be attached.